The Upper Yarra Community Enterprise (UYCE) owns and operates the franchises for the Warburton and Yarra Junction Community Bank branches. It is run by a voluntary board of directors drawn from the local community and has as its mission the advancement of economic prosperity and a vibrant, resilient and sustainable Upper Yarra community – through banking and beyond!
Why Community Banking is different?
- A competitive range of banking products and services.
- Locally owned and operated by the community for the community.
- About returning profits to more than 600 local shareholders integral to our community bank success.
- Local business at its best, keeping money in local economies and employing local people.
Community banking is quite simply one of the most effective and major ways by which things get done in our community.
Why? Because we reinvest up to 80% of profits back into the community and since February 2000, we have provided more than $4.5 million to community-based projects and organisations via our Sponsorships program. Name another business that does that?
Community Banking is based on a ‘profit-with-purpose’ model, which means our profits are returned directly to the community that has generated them – people living in postcodes 3799 and 3797 – that’s you!
We call this ‘shared value’ and this is a foundation of our Community Bank model. We are owned by our shareholders who are members of our community.
Our shareholders agreed to receive up to 20% share, leaving the remaining up to 80% for reinvestment in the community. (In big banks, 100% of that profit is returned to shareholders who could live anywhere, but in Community Banking we are different.)
That’s where the money comes from and that’s how we’ve been able to put more than $4.5 million back into the community. Simple, isn’t it?
How it all works
- Own and operate Community Bank branches under franchise
- Distributes sponsorship funds
- Provides banking products and services
Share this page